Clarity: How do I enable CA PPM Schedule Connect logging for MSP /OWB troubleshooting?
In order to troubleshoot issues with CA PPM Schedule Connect and schedulers OWB or MSP, CA Support will sometimes request scheduler logging to be enabled on the local client Windows computer. It will be used to output additional details on the information sent from/to the scheduler when connecting to Clarity.
Prior to replicating the error, you will need to set the environment variables below on the workstation that is experiencing the issue:
1. In Windows create a folder, with the following name, for example: C:\schedulerlogs
2. Click the Start button
3. Right click Computer and select Properties
4. In System screen, please select Advanced System settings
5. Click the Environment Variables button
6. Repeat the following for all three variables below: (7a - 7c)
a) In the System Variables section choose New
b) Variable Name will be the value to the LEFT of the = sign below
c) Variable Value will be the value to the RIGHT of the = sign below
d) Click OK
7. The three environment variables (please note we are using the folder name we created in 1.)
a) SCHED_FORK_OUTPUT = TRUE
b) SCHED_OUTPUT_FILE = c:\ schedulerlogs \schedLoggingOutput.txt
c) _schedlogging_ = c:\ schedulerlogs\schedLoggingInput.txt
8. Once done, click OK, and OK to save the changes.
9. Once these environment variables are set (you can check by typing "set" at the command prompt) open your preferred scheduler (MSP or OWB).
You may try saving some project back to Clarity in order to verify the logs are created before going further, and then replicate the error. If the logs are not generated, you may want to double check the environmental variables are set correctly, and if everything is fine, restart your workstation before replicating the error.
10. Reproduce the issue, and once reproduced please send the two files below to Clarity Support as requested:
c:\ schedulerlogs \schedLoggingOutput.txt
The logs could get overwritten while opening projects: you may want to delete the files before replicating the error in order to get only fresh and relevant data.
The Input file will show data fetched by MSP/OWB from the database.
The Output file will show data saved by MSPOWB back to the database.